Google
 

Monday, October 15, 2007

Fun with Oobleck

This project/experiment meets many parents dreams. It is a learning experiment. It's fun. It's easy to make. It will keep your kids occupied for a long time! What is it? It's Oobleck!!!!


My science methods teacher made this with the class when I was in college. We had tons of fun with it and then when I brought it home, my husband couldn't quit playing with the Oobleck either.


Items to collect:

newspaper

measuring cups

1 cup of dry cornstarch

large bowl or pan

green food coloring

½ cup of water


Directions:

1. Cover your table or counter with newspaper.

2. Put the cornstarch into the bowl or pan. Add a few drops of food coloring.

3. Add the water slowly, while mixing.

4. Continue to add water until all of the oobleck feels like a liquid when you’re mixing it.

5. You will know that you have the perfect consistency when you can tap on the surface of the oobleck and it feels like a solid. If it seems too powdery, add a bit more water. If it seems too wet, add more cornstarch.

6. Play and experiment.

Thanks to 5 Minutes for Mom guest writer, Tara Rison, for reminding me about this fun stuff today. Tara also has a website, The Itty-Bitty Bookworm.

2 comments:

Mamacita Tina said...

I love Oobleck! I use to introduce science at the beginning of each school year using this activity. The kids do love it.

Jen said...

We just made some Oobleck here and my kids LOVED it! Thanks for sharing!